You are here
At SALA, we offer a wide variety of rewarding job opportunities for student workers. They add up to over $250,000 in academic assistantships annually. We employ students in the following areas:
workshop and fabrication
design and digital media
Current job opportunities
Note: Subscribe to the weekly eBlast to be notified when new positions are posted.
Dates: ASAP to May 30, 2023
Graduate Academic Assistant or Undergrade Academic Assistant – 1 open position
~4 hours/week with increases around event dates at $22.67/hour.
Experience level: Enrolled in BDes 4th year, MArch, MLA, MARCLA
Job description: Provides coordination for the Margolese Prize Vancouver Observatory project. As an extension to the 2022 Margolese Prize, winner Jane Wolff will be engaging with the SALA Community and students to undertake a Vancouver Observatory at the Kitsilano Beach/Pool site.
This position will be working independently and proactively, and use critical thinking skills to problem solve issues after adequate training has been provided.
Duties: Provide organizational support to Jane Wolff and Sara Jacobs on activities leading up to and including the Observatory dates. This position will be the conduit between Jane (in Toronto) and SALA students, faculty and staff, and carry this project forward and support any ancillary activities within SALA around this project.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills with comfort in interacting with many internal and external stakeholders in gaining interest and excitement and participation with the project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Digital drawing/model skills
- Research and presentation skills
- GIS skill would be helpful
- Interest/experience in exhibition/physical curation
- Knowledge of design and of SALA
- Must be available to work during regular business hours, with some flexibility around the project work.
- Knowledge and interest in project /event management
- Personable, works well with a variety of personalities
Supervision: The Coordinator will be under the supervision of Sara Jacobs here in SALA and indirectly with Jane Wolff. Administrative support will come from Associate Director Tamara Ross and Communications Specialist Emma Fennell.
How to apply: Please send resume and statement of interest highlighting skillset particular to the requirements above to Tamara Ross; firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: December 23, 2022. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Posted November 1, 2022
Please note that you will only be notified if you are going to be considered for an interview. We will not post results. All details related to any job posted are subject to change based on enrolment and/or budgetary considerations.
Reminder: If you have been a Teaching Assistant and have preferred candidacy, you must apply in order to be considered for any subsequent Teaching Assistant position.
Please note that you will only be notified if you are offered a position. We will not post results. All details related to any job posted are subject to change based on enrolment and/or budgetary considerations.
Before you apply:
- Ensure that you do not have any scheduling conflicts and that your academic load will allow you to fulfill the duties required
- Check your eligibility to work at UBC
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, including members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
If you have any questions about any of the terms for any position, please contact SALA HR at email@example.com.
We include appropriate third-party job opportunities in our weekly newsletter. Subscribe to it to receive regular updates. You can also check the AIBC classifieds and the BCSLA marketplace. For other on-campus jobs, visit UBC student services.